Are you in a relationship? Sometimes it can feel so challenging that it causes you to question if it's worth it. Love is so important and you mustn't give up hope, so what do you need to succeed? Below, I've listed a few essentials to help foster the love in your relationship:
· Prioritise your relationship - your relationship should be your number one priority in both you and your partner’s life. This can be challenging once kids come into the picture, but it’s essential if you want to sustain a loving relationship.
· Feeding your relationship - by investing yourselves emotionally into your relationship you are feeding it. The reality; your relationship requires both of you to feed it, or it can’t survive. You both need to feel loved!
· Relationship growth - if one of you is wasting time and no longer moving forward, you are holding the other one back, not only stifling the growth of your partner but also inhibiting the love in your relationship. For a relationship to progress, you and your partner need be heading in the same direction.
· Treat each other as equal - there is no place for dominance in a relationship. You can’t love your partner if you are trying to control him/her.
· Trust your partner - there has to be mutual trust between you both for real love to grow.
· Being genuine is essential for the success of a love relationship - not representing yourself in your truest sense is simply being dishonest and love can’t exist without honesty.
· Taking each other for granted - this never does a relationship any good, be under no illusion, the other always feels it and at some point this will have a negative impact on your relationship.
· There is no such thing as a perfect relationship - relationships require work. Having a real relationship means that at times there will be periods that feel unsettled. Be determined to work through your issues, sometimes you may feel like you don’t have the energy and all you want to do is sweep it under the rug. Not dealing with issues will eventually produce cracks in the relationship, therefore working through issues as they arise is always a better option and know that by doing so, you are both growing in your relationship. When you grow, the love you feel for each other expands!
· Listen to each other - actually hear your partner’s needs and do your best to support each other so that each other’s needs are met.
· Hug it out - so much can be healed with a good hug.
· Demonstrate your love - words are nice but your actions tell the real story. Lip service becomes apparent quickly and only serves to detract from your relationship as it breaks down the trust.
· Communication - no matter what is going on, you have to keep communicating. If this breaks down, your relationship is in trouble and you need to get help!
· Sexual attraction - a successful love relationship needs sexual desire to keep it alive. If you or your partner has lost interest sexually, it’s serious and it’s vitally important that you open up a dialogue about it as soon as possible.
· Above all, be prepared to compromise - when you can put the needs of your relationship above your own personal needs, you will know you are heading towards the Holy Grail of relationships.